UK Nissan

UK Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic online.

I'm also a tech. in small shop, need to talk to a Nissan…

I'm also a tech. in...
I'm also a tech. in small shop, need to talk to a Nissan tech. about replacing an oil pan on a 2004 XTerra 3.8L, a tech. that has done one of these or is very familiar with the removal process.
9/17/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

so they dont make a 3.8 its more likely the 3.3, there is a 2.8 but its diesel and not available in us

Sorry for the engine type error it is a 3.3L. We are a very experienced bunch of techs here 40 years plus. I'm in my 60's. I have done many oil pans but am hesitant on this one. First I will need a link from you with removal procedure. Our info. system is not so informative. I do have a printout that looks like I need to take a lot of stuff apart to finally lift the motor up to remove the pan. there are a lot of cautions when lifting up the motor so you don't break anything. And looking at the top of the engine I see no place to hook up our engine hoist. So I need to know exactly how you guys do this so I can decide if I should get involved or not. From what I have read it is a huge amount of disasembly. Also do you have the labor tim on this. Thanks, Pete

oh your reading right, its a giant pain in the rear , its almost easier to pull the engine out to do this job, I have done 1 a while back but that was bad from factory, these things usually never leak, and you want to use the gray gasket maker when re doing the pan, I find that works best, ***** ***** for the engine hoist points there are no hooks, and 12mm bolt or larger that will work for you is enough to hold that engine

1.Remove the engine undercover.2.Drain the engine oil.3.Remove the RH and LH stabilizer bracket bolts. Refer toFSU-17, "Removal".4.Remove the front propeller shaft from the front differential carrier. Refer toPR-8, "Removal and Installa-tion".5.Remove the RH and LH front drive shaft fixing bolts. Refer toFAX-20, "Removal".6.Remove the front differential carrier bleeder hose.7.Remove the front suspension cross member. Refer toFSU-5, "Components".8.Remove the RH and LH differential front mounting bolts and the rear mounting bolts. Refer toFFD-9,"Removal and Installation".9.Remove the front differential carrier. Refer toFFD-9, "Removal and Installation".10.Remove the front differential carrier mounting bracket. Refer toFFD-9, "Removal and Installation".11. Remove the starter motor. Refer toSC-23, "Removal".12.Remove the RH and LH transmission to rear engine mounting bracket nuts. Refer toEM-124, "Removaland Installation".13.Remove the RH and LH engine mounting bolts or nuts. Refer toEM-124, "Removal and Installation".14.Remove the power steering gear mounting brackets. Refer toPS-15, "Removal and Installation".15.Lift up the engine. If necessary, disconnect the exhaust tube. Refer toEX-3, "Removal and Installation".16.Remove the relay rod. Refer toFSU-5, "Components".NOTE:It is not necessary to disconnect the pitman arm.17. Remove the oil pan bolts, loosen the oil pan bolts in the numeri-cal order as shown.

Will the oil pan have enough room to come out once I raise the motor up? How far up can I raise the motor, looks to me like I can only come up a little because back of engine will hit body. And where exactly did you attach the bolt for lifting the motor, I'll be using one of those cross bar lifters. How much time did it take you? Thanks for the R/R info. I pretty much got the same from our Identafix repair info. From what I'm hearing from you so far I might opt out on this one, getting to old for this.

yes you cant lift the motor much because of the housing where the trans goes and depending if you have 4wd or not you will have to lower the from axle a bit, and as far as hooking it up you can remove one of the intake bolts and use that or run a very tight strap under the intake and lift that way but depending on your engine lift may not go that far upwards

ok got it, just wanted to know what a fair labr time is.

im showing 3.5 on 2wd and 5.2 on 4wd I always round up and if you want to get paid and think its gonna take you some time go up to 7 if need be to cover your time, that job is a pain

Thanks, I'm thinking more like 2 days. gave you excellent rating.

no worries! I hope everything goes smoothly,

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician