UK Nissan

UK Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic Online.

UK Nissan

2006 Nissan Titan. Column shift problems. My gear selector

Customer Question
for is not displaying what...
2006 Nissan Titan. Column shift problems. My gear selector for is not displaying what gear the car is in so I can't start it. Its showing all P, R, N, D, 4,3,2,1 but it don't have the square around any of them shiwung what gear its in so the truck wont start now.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: UK Nissan
8/6/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

Have you checked the gear selector at the trans and check cable for breakages or damage,

Cable is good. I ordered a new part for transmission will see tommorow

oh ok let me know how that goes and of you need any procedures

It still does not work

So what did you order and what did you do to fix the issue?

What I did is take my brother fully rebuilt transmission and put it on my truck this transmission worked in this truck last week. Everything on that transmission is brand new. So we sealed it. And still there is not indicator on the cluster showing what year the tranmssion is in.

so now that everything is hooked up are you getting any codes?

No codes
I have replaced the steering column as well now thing it was it still no shifter indicator on the cluster. I even took my cousins cluster to see if it's doing the same on his and his is not shows the gear selector eather but plug it back in his truck works perfect tried my too and it works

is your gear selector on the column or the center console

Column

when you changed out the trans did you also replace with a new PNP switch

Everything is new

ok so next we will have to check communications between pnp, and gauge cluster, ill send some electrical checks for that

CHECK PNP SWITCH INPUT SIGNAL CIRCUIT FOR OPEN AND SHORT-I

1. Turn ignition switch OFF.
  2. Disconnect A/T assembly harness connector.
  3. Disconnect combination meter harness connector.
  4. Check harness continuity between A/T assembly terminal 9 and combination meter terminal 39.

Continuity should exist.

5. Also check harness for short to ground and short to power.
It was not that I figured it out in was a fuse under the passenger side. My next problem is my ecm is not getting power can't start truck. When I do a code scan it says not equip. I tried 2 or my spare ecm and same thing
I tried the ecm relay as well no go. About to replace the ipdm and see if it works
the only code that comes up in under tcm and it U1000

If you replace anything ecm related it needs to be programed to the vehicle or nothing will happen

It should still read the ecm it says not equip just like the original. It should still read it and say miss match code
The engine will crank for like 3 to 5 sec with both ecms
I got the original ecm back in it now the other one was just to test if it's reading it so see if I have a bad ecm

right, and it goes into immobilizer mode which will need to be programed to the vehicle

It should not have to be programmed if it's the same original ecm. And when I put my scan tool on all 3 ecms it would not read them I just out the original one back in it that came with the truck and did a system check and says ecm not equip. It should still let me see the ecm with the scan tool even with the emobilizer crap

you might have a bad can bus line or ground issue somewhere,

I just tested the power and ground on the ecm and I'm not getting a ground on pin 116 on the ecm

ok so that is ground e9 e15 and e24, they are saying e9 is right front engine compartment, e15 is right side and e 24 is left front, is also what pin#1 is connected to for ground as well

I ment I'm not getting ground on 1 and 115

yeah thats all the same grounds I would check continuity and check the ground in the engine bay

I'm getting good ground on 116 only

there is a break in the wire somewhere or ground is bad

If I run a direct ground to the 2 wires would that be ok I won't cut the wired just wire it to that wire. Would that be ok

yes that will work out great, Im pretty sure there is a mount point right next to where the ecm is

I'm not getting any power to the ecm relay with key on

which terminals are you not getting power on

Ecm relay non of the terminal are getting power with key on
Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician