Robert
Robert, UK Nissan Technician
Experience:  Fully trained 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Just bought an 05 K12 with AC and there is a screeching

Customer Question

Hi Mike
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: Just bought an 05 K12 with AC and there is a screeching sound from the area around the drive belts a squirt of (I KNOW ITS BAD TO DO THIS) WD40 onto the belt seems to stop it for a short while. Ive had slipping V belts in the past and the screech tends to happen when you rev from tick over but this is constant from start up and stays through the whole rev range.
JA: What shape is the v-belt in? Do you know if it needs to be replaced, or just adjusted?
Customer: I don't think it is a V belt, it looks like a flat belt the car has done 2k miles a year since new so only 28K! but 11 year old belts
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've only squirted WD40 to diagnose fault and I'm not sure if it is the belt or maybe a water pump or alternate or tensioner bearing
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thats all I know, I will change the belt myself but I need to know if there is any definitive way to diagnose the fault other than my squirt
Category: UK Nissan
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is a Petrol engine
Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.

Hi..there..

They will have the flat ribbed belts..normally brake cleaner directly onto the belt itself rib side will verfiy or not if its the belt or the pulleys the belts runs..With the engine off inspect the belt and check the ribs arent cracked..id say if the belt are upto 11yrs old as far as you know..then in my opinion they are way to old and should of been replaced by now..regardless of how many miles..rubber does deteriote and get hard and brittle over time so its certainly worth replacing them...once the belt is off then you check and spin each pulley by hand to listen or feel for any issues ie:- any roughness or stiffness or play in each pulley..if ok then refit your new belts..i suspect thats all it needs going by what you have said..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you Robert.
How do I access the belt, I can only see a tiny bit of the top smoothest side of the belt looking down from the radiator area?
Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.

They have 2 belts on these petrols. one that drives water pump and an idler and the other does the alternator and the AC compressor..best going in from underneath using a jack and suitable axle stands on level ground surface..remove the underguard if it still has it..and you should see the belts that way...and the tensioner pulleys