UK Nissan

UK Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic online.

I have a 54 plate nissan xtrail 2.2 dci I was driving and…

Customer Question
I have a 54 plate...
I have a 54 plate nissan xtrail 2.2 dci
I was driving and there was a whooping noise from the engine when accelerating. This got worse until the car lost power and billowing smoke from the exhaust
Any idea what the problem s and how to fix it ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Nissan
2/2/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Nathan B, Motor mechanic replied 2 years ago
Nathan B
Nathan B, Motor mechanic

Hi there.

Welcome to ja.com

I hope I can help you today.

From what you have said it sounds to me like there is a problem with your turbo. The most common problem is that the turbo has been starved of oil and has worn and failed. Tks is what causesthe noise and then the plumes of smoke. Now, I don't know your technical capacity is so I'll try and explain it quite simply for you. What you need to do is cheek the turbo for damage and free play. To Do this you will have to remove the pipe from the silver inlet side of the turbo and then with the engine off, with your fingers see if there is a lot of up and down movement (anything more than approx a millimetre or so is too much). Once you have confirmed that the turbo has failed you can replace it but once replaced you will then have to solve the oil starvation problem before driving it as otherwise you will have t he same problem again. You can then check the feed pipes to make sure they are not blocked bit also you will have to check the oil lift in the sump to make sure that isn't clogged up by removing the sump and cleaning it all up. Once the oil problem is solved then the car should be ok again.

The other fault that could be with the turbo is that the seals have gone inside causing oil to leak into the exhaust side. This also men's that the turbo needs an overhaul to fix but you just wouldn't need to check the pipes for blockages with this fault.

I hope I have been of assistance to you and if you need me in the future Please don't hesitate to get in touch again.

Please rate my answer as this is how I get paid.

Thanks in advance

Nathan B
Nathan B
Nathan B, Motor mechanic