Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli,
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

My heater in my “2003 Nissan Pathfinder” doesn't work while

Customer Question

My heater in my “2003 Nissan Pathfinder” doesn’t work for a while and then only works while I am driving. If I am sitting still, it just blows cold air.
Category: UK Nissan
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This fault here is either due to a restricted heater core needing either back flushed or replaced if it will not flush out or an issue with the engine coolant being low in most cases.I would check the engine coolant level and see if it is low.If it is low this indicates there is a leak in the coolant system that needs located and repaired then the coolant level refilled.If the coolant level is full at an idle with the engine fully warmed up and the heater on high heat locate and feel both heater core hoses.If one is very warm to hot to the touch and the other is allot cooler this indicate the heater core is restricted needing either flushed out (you can use a garden hose or similar to flush it out with the heater core hoses removed from the heater core flushing both ends one end at a time until good flow is achieved) or the heater core needs replaced.

If both heater hoses are found to be hot to the touch and you are not low on coolant let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had carried it to a mechanic already and he had already flushed the system and refilled the antifreeze. He now thinks it is either the water pump or the heater core. He said on this vehicle, testing and repairing the heater core could be very time consuming as the dash may have to be removed. I asked for an estimate of parts and labor on each one. I have not received that yet. I thought I would check on JustAnswer for advice. You guys are almost always right.

If he did not do a heater core flush as this is a different flush then the regular coolant flush this should be done.This can usually be done in around an hours time to see if it will free up and remove any debris from the restricted heater core and correct this here.If this was done and it is plugged then it will need replaced and this does sound like the cause for the fault here on this model with what has already been done.Usually if it was the water pump the engine would run hotter as well or over heat.

The dealer pricing I show for the heater core is $342 for the heater core itself and around $25 in coolant and 6.2 hours labor.You might be able to get a heater core from a local parts store cheaper in some cases.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to verify with the mechanic Monday whether or not he did a heater core flush. If he did, I may just have to be cold the rest of the winter. I have 240K miles on it, so I am reluctant to spend lots of $$ on it right now.

O.k.,if you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete