Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons, 23 years repairing my own cars and others, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

Nissan/Datsun ALMERA TINO: I have a nissan almera tino 2005

I have a nissan almera tino 2005 1.8 petrol engine, and am having trouble with the tick over (car over revving) at 1200 r p m , and when I change gear the revs rise instead of falling when I take my foot of the accelarator to change gear, there appears to be no throttle cable on this vehicle to adjust ?? and the car almost run on its own without me putting my foot down on the accelarator pedal ??
Hello

its an electric throttle on these, so no throttle cable

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.
As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine

Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.
if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it is faulty

Air leaks are very temperature dependent as gaps can open or close up as things expand with heat, so the weather and engine temperature can effect them.

This leads them to be quite intermittent in the case of mild leaks

its also worth cleaning the airflow meter by removing it from the car and spraying the exposed sensor wires inside the tube with a brake or switch cleaner - ensure that the cleaner is one of the old fashioned, non Eco type that does not leave a residue

On no account touch the sensor wires with anything physical as they are extremely fragile
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi thanks for your reply, however without diagrams to locate all the areas you mention, I have no idea what these parts look like (for example the airflow meter etc) The whole business of finding the fault seems exremely complicated. Can you tell me what the correct tick over speed should be? and where the air flow meter is located ? Why did they change a simple cable system, to this rediculously complicated nightmare !!! It defies all logic
Hello

tick over in neutral should be about 600 rpm

the airflow meter is located just after the air filter box in the engine bay and should look something like this

graphic

and you can blame emissions standards for the demise of the cable throttle as by adding the computer control of the throttle you can improve the engine's use of fuel
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi again, I unplugged the airflow meter as you suggested, and found that the car ran unevenly this from what you say seems to indicate that the airflow meter is o k ? unfortunetely the engine management light is now staying on and as I am just about to take the car for its M O T ,

I beleive that this will cause it to fail ? Can you tell me how to get it to turn off ?

many thanks

Hello

yes if the car runs worse with the sensor unplugged it means its having a positive influence

to clear the engine management light try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery cables and clamping them together for 10 mins. Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clamp to hold both battery lead terminals together.

This discharges any capacitors / memory within the ECU and around the car so ensures all memory settings are wiped clear - back to the factory default.

This will reset all the systems on the car and you may need the radio security code to get it going again, and ensure that the keys are in your hand when you re-connect the battery as the car may lock and turn on the alarm
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello, Thanks for your reply, I have tried what you suggested, unfortunetely, the light has remained on, and every time I start the engine, a bright warning light comes on, indicating an engine fault,

have you any suggestions on this further problem and how to

irradicate it ?

Many thanks.

Hello

I'd suggest that the next step is to get the car plugged into a diagnostic device to get an error code off which will help point to the issue

You can also try resetting the car by removing both battery leads and clamping them together for 10 mins as this will reset everything so if the light re-appears then the fault is still there.

Disconnect the battery cables and clamp them together for 10 mins. Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clamp to hold both battery lead terminals together.