UK Nissan

UK Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic online.

I have a navara d22 3 litre turbo diesel which doesnt go.

Customer Question
hi i have a navara...
hi i have a navara d22 3 litre turbo diesel which doesnt go.
smoke came out from under the bonnet on the drivers side and it just stopped.
the engine still turns over very slow but wont start, i took the plastic hose off the end of the turbo and the turbo is clean as , and still turns easy.
can you help me?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: UK Nissan
Answered in 1 day by:
1/25/2011
Nissan Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 years ago
Matt, Engineer
Hello

I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.

If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.

Also its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the main fuel pump is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V
Also if its not injecting at all then check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor

If the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anything
Lastly it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.
Matt, Engineer

thanks for your response,

have taken all the info on board,

the car was going, stopped all of a sudden with smoke coming from under the bonnet, now wont start and only turns over very slow, as though something is locked up or very tight, maybe the steering pump, injector pump, alterntor or something else.

Hello

Ok that sounds a bit more serious - I'd start by seeing if you've lost any water and also pull the glow plugs out and spin it over to see if you get any water out.

Also worth doing a compression check to see if the base engine is sound

let me know what you find