UK Nissan

UK Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic online.

Gears..drives..a selector lever position sensor problem..gearbox…

Customer Question
I have a K11 n-cvt...
I have a K11 n-cvt micra that does not allow me to select gears easily - I can get into reverse - and the car moves normally, but to get it into D from N requires alot of force. However once there it drives perfectly.

Someone told me it could be a selector lever position sensor problem ( which is located on the gearbox), and can only be adjusted by some one who has the appropriate kit?

Can you advise please.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Nissan
6/28/2010
Nissan Mechanic: Greg, import technician replied 8 years ago
Greg
Greg, import technician

Hi and welcome to JA.com. I will assisted you best i can

This is probely a mechanical problem with the selector shaft .

To check, Just disconnect the cable that goes to the selector shifter on the side front of the transmission, and try to select with your hand, if you are still having problems shifting then it the selector shaft that goes into the transmission,

To repair transmission will have to be opened.

If it moves freely it then could be your selector cable that is binding ,

or the P/N safety switch is not releasing.

For further assistance please let me know.
Regards Greg

The gear selector moves freely when the engine is not running - why would it bind only when the engine is on!

Do you have any idea where the P/N safety switch is located for my Micra? How do you check that?

Regards

Zed

Hi Zed

It will not be the P/N switch if it works freely with the engine off.

Will also have no connection to the ECU.

You will have to try the following .

1 disconnect the cable at the transmission,

jack and put jack stands under car making sure the two front wheels are off the ground.

2 With a second helper get him/her to start the car with foot on the brake (Hand brake on) and move the selector in all gears by hand to see if it binds

If it move though all the gears then the cable is suspect

If not its internal and tranny will have to be checked.

Need further assistance please let me know.

Regards Greg

You P/N safety switch - where is this please because in my mind it this since for when the car drives there are no problems - its the random and intermittent nature of gear selection in my mind that needs to be ruled out first!

Guidance on this would be appreciated.

Regards

Zed

P/N switch works only when you put the foot on your brake to get it out of Park.

and from N to R & P.

One switch is at the brake pedal with the brake light switch incorporated ,

the shifter release switch is in the gear select shifter box ,

Regards Greg

Did you find the problem Zed
regards Greg