UK Nissan

UK Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic online.

300zx z32 tt ,will not boost and intermittantly dies and surges…

Customer Question
300zx z32 tt ,will not...
300zx z32 tt ,will not boost and intermittantly dies and surges
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Nissan
6/28/2010
Nissan Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 8 years ago
Matt, Engineer
Hi

What year is the car?

1990,it was running fine and then started to missfire ,after a compression test it was found that a piston had a broken ring on it.

the job was done and the car was put back together,there were no surging problems before it went wrong and it boosted fine.

the 3 wires on the throttle possision sensor were not secure so they have been re wired,and the fuel filter has been replaced,i think that there are 2 problems with the car ,the first being the fact that it will not boost properly and the other is the intermittant surging of the car,it does not cut out it just drops to a tickover even if the throttle is pressed down,it seems to happen after a bump or swinging the car from side to side,so it lead me to think fuel filter blockage or something loose somewhere,what sensors on the car would cause it to not rev but to tick over fine,similar to when the turbo timer is switched on and the ignition is off.

Hello

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and leans the engine out causing rough running.As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometime hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine

Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.
if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter is faulty
i have managed to find one of the faults which seemed to be from the throttle possition sensor and i moved the wire and the car ran more smoothley and did not surge,but the big problem of it not boosting or reving over 4,000 revs when its moving along is still there,it did not have this fault before it broke a piston so i can only assume its vacume and pressure related but i cant test it for boost leaks while it is stationary as the vacume pressure changes to possative pressurte only when its moving along and not when it is stationary,are there any valves or air controlled regulators which could cause a loss of power during boost but would be fine when reving the car in neutral as it revs sharply and freely to 7k+
Hello

I'd have to say it sounds like low fuel pressure to me as the fuel requirement when 'blipping ' the throttle is very low compared to full load / boost.

If you don't have a pressure gauge any fuel injection specialist should be able to measure it for a small fee