UK Nissan

UK Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic online.

Nissan: motorway..a mile of driving at 60mph it stalled..Restarted…

Customer Question
Nissan kubistar hard to start...
Nissan kubistar hard to start and warning light comes on @ 2,500 rpm and chokes power and goes off when engine speed is dropped. After sensor connections replaced went on motorway and after a mile of driving at 60mph it stalled. Restarted with difficulty but still an asthmatic pig!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Nissan
6/25/2010
Nissan Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 8 years ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and leans the engine out causing rough running.As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometime hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine

Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.

if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter is faulty

If all of this is OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance.

Its also possible that the EGR valve itself is faulty and is sticking open when it shouldn't - quite often they can be cleaned out with brake cleaner and reused instead of replacing it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues

Matt, Engineer
Thanks Matt for your suggestions.
No problem