UK Law

Can a Private Members Club refuse a candidate membership…

Can a Private Members...

Can a Private Members Club refuse a candidate membership without giving a reason? How does this sit with the latest discimination laws?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you in the UK or the States? It matters because laws vary by location.

UK

Lawyer's Assistant:... Read full answer

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you in the UK or the States? It matters because laws vary by location.

UK

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

Application has been presented.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, it's just in case I am refused on basis of gender/race.

4/3/2019
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Is there actually evidence that the refusal was on discriminatory grounds?

No Not yet, apparently there is no obligation to explain rejection.

That is correct – they are not legally obliged to advise why the application has been rejected. So it is potentially possible for them to reject it on discriminatory grounds, especially when there is no obvious evidence to suggest they had done so. Discrimination does still occur and people and organisations can successfully discriminate against others without being caught and it all comes down to whether there is any evidence which can show, even remotely, that there was discrimination at play. But to answer your question, they can reject your application without citing a reason and it is for you to try and find evidence that it was down to discrimination.

Does this answer your query?

Thank you. If all the members are Smith and a Singh gets rejected, is that sufficient to imply discrimination?

To imply, yes, but to prove, no. It does however place the ball into their court to try and show that there were other, non-discriminatory reasons for their decision. Hope this clarifies?

Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Thank you again. Quite clear. Query answered, thank you.

you are welcome

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I run a sporting group which is a members only group. We
Hello, I run a sporting group which is a members only group. We have been contacted by someone with a disability and have asked the to allow us time to better understand what reasonable adjustments ne… read more
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law
Solicitor,
Bachelor of Laws (LLB)
For what reasons can our private member golf club reject an
For what reasons can our private member golf club reject an application for membership? … read more
F E Smith
F E Smith
I am setting up a not for profit organisation to manage and
I am setting up a not for profit organisation to manage and develop a new sport, and am considering registering as a company 'limited by guarantee'. In its costitution, it reserves the right to refuse… read more
Joshua
Joshua
Lawyer,
LL.B (Hons), Prof. Dip. Law & Pract
Stop searching for answers—
uner the equality act 2010 1st octerber dose protected characteristics
uner the equality act 2010 1st octerber dose protected characteristics act apply to private clubs the committee of all man refuse us ladies of becoming full mumbers on the grounds of being lady social… read more
UK-Justice
UK-Justice
Im a secretary of a private members club with a constitution
Im a secretary of a private members club with a constitution which gives each member an equal share in the club and assets. We have lost our premises due to friction between club members and are now c… read more
UK-Justice
UK-Justice
If a UK Casino which is a private members club with a gaming
If a UK Casino which is a private members club with a gaming license, suspends your membership is there anybody you can appeal to?(such as a goverment / licensing body).… read more
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
UK Lawyer,
Legal Practice Course
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
We are a Sailing Club and the question relates to membership.
We are a Sailing Club and the question relates to membership. We have received an appliaction for membership who is acomplete stranger apart from when he visited the Club to join, we only know his add… read more
Jenny Mackenzie
Jenny Mackenzie
My partner was sentanced to 13 months imprisionment for a sex
My partner was sentanced to 13 months imprisionment for a sex offence last year the circumsances around the case were not balck and white but he pleaded gulity to get a lesser sentance. He served 6.5 … read more
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
UK Lawyer,
Legal Practice Course
I wrote a letter 5 months ago airing my grievances on how I
I wrote a letter 5 months ago airing my grievances on how I felt about a new committee, This I sent to head office of the GWRSA. Now it has come to light and most probs I am to be banned from the club… read more
Jenny Mackenzie
Jenny Mackenzie
Hello. I am interested to know whether my fishing club is contravening
Hello. I am interested to know whether my fishing club is contravening section 101 of the Equality Act 2010 (UK). I am a female member of an angling club and have been for several years. This year, I … read more
Buachaill
Buachaill
Barrister,
Hi there, I have recently been refused membership of a private
Hi there, I have recently been refused membership of a private social boat club, that i have previously been an active member of with no problems. Their decision is final, thats ok as i do not wish to… read more
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
UK Lawyer,
Legal Practice Course
if i wanted to change my winebar/venue to a private members
if i wanted to change my winebar/venue to a private members only club what do I need to do?… read more
INC
INC
Solicitor-Advocate,
Stop searching for answers—
I am a member of a UK Members club which is seeking to raise
I am a member of a UK Members club which is seeking to raise a sum of money from members which is significant in relation to the clubs assets. the club rules allow the committtee to borrow any level o… read more
UK
UK
Legal Adviser,
is there any law, UK or EU, that states that the spouse of
is there any law, UK or EU, that states that the spouse of an existing member cannot be refused membership of a private members club… read more
Jo C.
Jo C.
Barrister,
i am a member of a private members social club in the uk. my
i am a member of a private members social club in the uk. my husband had an accident on the premises last year which put him in hospital for a week and unable to work for 6 months. he is claiming agai… read more
Chris_H
Chris_H
Consultant Solicitor,
Is it possible to obtain an Injunction against the Officers
Is it possible to obtain an Injunction against the Officers of a Private Members Club in the event that they are acting in contravention of the Club Rules? If so, how to apply and at what cost?… read more
PTS Law Ltd
PTS Law Ltd
35 years experience English Solicit
I have been refused membership of a private club where I have
I have been refused membership of a private club where I have been a member for 26 years. I have been given no reason and they say that I have done nothing wrong. I have not been given the right to qu… read more
A. Stewart
A. Stewart
Are there laws with regard to private members clubs
As a chairman of a private members club I am often asked if there are any binding laws other than the clubs rules to which we must adhere to?… read more
A. Stewart
A. Stewart