UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I'm renting privately a house. Landlord didn't fixed hot…

Customer Question
I'm renting privately a...

I'm renting privately a house. Landlord didn't fixed hot water for over 2 months and said that it's working. I've got two months notice to move out. I'm due to have a baby in 6 days. Can I move out and get my deposit back anyway if council officer said that landlord didn't supply appropriate sanitary conditions?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I've reported to the council and they're in touch with letting agency

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There was similar problem with water leaking through the ceiling last year. they've fixed only because council officer made them do it. I'd like to move out asap can I just do it without giving notice and get my deposit if the landlord didn't fulfil his obligations?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: UK Law
5/30/2018
Solicitor: JimLawyer, Solicitor replied 3 months ago
JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Hello, given the problems, would your landlord agree to you ending the agreement early?They have a duty to provide sanitary conditions and hot water - if they don’t then they are in breach of their contract with you.You could of course leave early and state the reasons why, and invite them to return your deposit. If they refuse, you can issue a money claim online which doesn’t cost much and you can sue in the small claims court which is very common. The site is www.moneyclaimonline.gov.ukHowever you need to give them the chance to return your deposit. You can move out early - if you encounter any problems please let me know and I’d be happy to helpBest of luck with the baby too - this is the last thing you need I’d imagine!If you can also give me a star rating, I’ll be credited by Just Answer for helping you today and I can then offer free of charge follow up Q&A’sBest wishes,Jim