UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Our house is on an unadopted road which is a bridleway. A…

Customer Question
Our house is on an...
Our house is on an unadopted road which is a bridleway. A neighbour researched several years ago and was unable to discover the owner of the road, the original company who bought the land to develop have gone decades ago. We are trying to have a phone line installed, but BT say they need written consent from the owner of the road before they can dig up the road to lay the cables. We are stumped.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: UK Law
5/26/2018
Solicitor: JimLawyer, Solicitor replied 2 months ago
JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Hello, thanks for the question.A Land Registry search (which costs £5) will be able to determine who the owner is or whether the road is unadopted. Have you carried out a search yet?Jim
My neighbour tried this without success. I have looked at the land registry and it asks for a house name and postcode. According to the council the road is unadopted and was marked as potentially adoptable in 1950 odd.
Ok I would suggest you obtain a letter or other written evidence form HM Land Registry so that you can send to BT - they shouldn’t argue if you have the evidence from LR