UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I need advice on uk law. Do I need to read a contract if I’m…

I need advice on...

I need advice on uk law. Do I need to read a contract if I’m only a signature witness? Meaning witnessing a party signing the contract?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a UK lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Get me through to a real person

3/26/2018
Clare
Clare, Solicitor

Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

There is no requirement for you to read the document at all - your only role is to watch the document being signed so that if there is a dispute in the future you can confirm that the signatory did indeed sign it

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Ok so regardless of what it says in the actual agreement there is no way I could be accountable of anything within the document?
Is there a legal note about that? If Day someone in contract started that witness is also a payer of the fees - can I be charged?

Is there a specific set of circumstances that are causing you concern?

No, I have not read the contract hence now I’m worried I could be held responsible for anything mentioned in it although I’m only a witness in the contract

No - you cannot in any way be held responsible for anything

Ok great. Could you provide a legal support for that e.g. a specific paragraph I should look at? Thank you

There is no such paragraph because there is no legal relationship created

Clare
Clare, Solicitor