UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Jo. Can someone now send an invoice for £13k retrospectively…

Hello Jo. Can...

Hello Jo. Can someone now send an invoice for £13k retrospectively for services offered (five years ago) for no charge? Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you in the UK or the States? It matters because laws vary by location.

UK

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

I play in a band. The bass player has a recording studio in his garage.Since 2012, he has recorded and produced three albums for the band. He has always said that he would not charge the band for this.He is a difficult person to work with and we (the majority of the band) recently decided to carry on with him.He has since sent an invoice to the band for nearly £13k for his services.We have no contract. No agreement on rates nor hours - nothing.I believe that his charging for his recording/production is not contractually valid.Perhaps "morally" we owe him something, but that's a different issue.What is your advice please?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that's all. Thanks

Hi. Can I correct my submission? Can I correct, "He is a difficult person to work with and we (the majority of the band) recently decided to carry on with him" to WITHOUT him? Thanks
3/25/2018
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

If there is no contract or discussion for payment then he can not charge.

It was never agreed. If it was never agreed, it does not form a term.

If it does not form a term, it is not part of any oral contract.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. If you need more help, you can ask follow up questions for free and I would be delighted to assist. Thanks!

Thanks. I've checked emails and the only hint of an agreement is in an email from over 5 years ago ...CheersPlease see below ...Bass player ....On 4 Mar 2013, at 11:38, "Adr***** *****on" <[email protected]*****.co.uk> wrote:"Thanks for all the effort you have put in Paul, I'll check the spreadsheet later.
Regarding the studio and my time. I never asked for anything related to these costs, so to start asking now would effectively be going back on my word. If I ever think at any stage that some sort of payment may be due, I'll let you and the chaps know, but until that day arrives - or until we suddenly start getting some big money - all Salem sessions will continue as uninvoiced.
A"My reply ..."Re your studio - that is very much appreciated. I do hope we can repay you at some point !"What do you advise?Thanks

Nothing is due.

He can start to ask for payment from a certain date in the future. At that point, you can take a view.

But not retrospective.

Does that assist?

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor