UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I have a question about a "Notice of Enforcement" form

Hello, I have a question about...
I have a question about a "Notice of Enforcement" form Sheriffs Office, which I have received on my company address. My receptionist has opened the letter by mistake, as this letter was addressed to the different company.I am leasing this office and I think the debt belongs to the previous leaseholder, the company which was trading in this office before me.
I am wondering now, as we know that bailiff is not the nices people can they enter my business property and do same check or demand explanation or money from me even its, not my company debt? .What should I tell the bailiff, should I let them into the office or can I refuse entry? I would like to avoid any awkward situation especially that sometimes I have clients n my office, please advice.
3/21/2018
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would rather wait and get the answer please
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you would like to know about this today please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a question about a "Notice of Enforcement" form Sheriffs Office, which I have received on my company address. My receptionist has opened the letter by mistake, as this letter was addressed to the different company.I am leasing this office and I think the debt belongs to theprevious leaseholder, the company which was trading in this office before me.

Just to be clear that previous company was nothing to do with you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nothing to do with me. I have my own limited company and I am the director.

Ok - do you have proof of your new agreement and company etc?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have my Company Act and Lease contract.

Ok - send that now to the bailiffs.

You don't want them turning up and seizing goods, then asking for paperwork.

So make sure this is done now - as they have the power to seize goods and you then have 14 days to show they are yours, not the debtors.

So it is far better to do this now.

That should resolve it.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you saying that if the letter was returned by me to sender and i havent opened the letter that the bailiff will have power to enter to my office and ruin my business??? Just becasuse sameone there used my business address? But how they can do that? So just because i took an a vaccant office in a huge business centre after someone im at risk! But that is crazy!
My question is can they force entry?? And can i refuse to let them in?? Im so upset now!

Yes. That is why you need to phone them NOW.

If you refuse to let them in, they have right of entry.

They have been commanded by the High Court.

Does that clarify?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can they enter my office even when I am not in? I have security in my office now im warried that they may let them in! Im leaving on holiday tomorrow. It is a lot of unfair stress to be honest!

Yes they can. They have a writ..

Please deal with this now, don’t wait

Does that assist?

Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.

Great

Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor