UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

My son has received a Court Summons for Unlicensed keeping…

My son has received...

My son has received a Court Summons for Unlicensed keeping of a motor vehicle. The stated dated was on 7/11/17, however the car was taxed at this time, however it should have been taxed from the 1st October. Unfortunately due to a family breakup between myself and my husband, the reminder letter was sent to my husbands address where my son was not currently living and his father did not give him the letter. As soon as we realised that it was not taxed we did this online and the tax was backdated to the 1st November (we obviously taxed the car sometime in Nov but cant remember the date). His first direct debt came out on the 1st of December and this was for 2 months (Nov & Dec). Is this a criminal offence he has been charged with? Are they saying it wasn't taxed on the 7/11 or is it for the period of 1/10 to 31/10? Not sure whether he should plead guilty and just pay the fine or whether we should contact DVLA.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you in the UK or the States? It matters because laws vary by location.

UK

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

We only received it on Friday, so nothing as yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I don't think so

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

At the time of information (I assume 7/11/17) was it taxed?

We actually taxed it online on the 21/11/17, but the payments were back dated to the 1/11/17, there was no other option to back date it to October when it originally fell due.

What does the offence text state?

Online information is ok,

What does the offence text state?

Unlicensed keeping of a motor vehicle BT66NCX on 7/11/2017
The witness statement states that the digitised video images were viewed on 8/3/18 - so if they checked on that date they would have seen that it was taxed from 1/11/17

Ah ok. So on 7/11 it was untaxed at the time.

But it was later taxed. As you say, he can see that on 8/3/18 it was taxed.

So he can plead not guilty. At the time of the statement, it was taxed.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Hi, no thank for your responses, it has been a help and has clarified the situation.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the bottom of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.

Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor