UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I made a huge mistake, I was out with friends and crossing…

I made a huge mistake...
I made a huge mistake, I was out with friends and crossing when a car approached aggressively nearly hitting me. In a moment of madness I kicked the door panel causing a dent. It was a female driver who subsequently contacted her boyfriend who attended. I was subsequently marched to a cash machine where I withdrew £100 which I think should cover the cost, will that be the end of it, can I be traced through the ATM or what can I expect if the police get involved.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

and the payment methodHi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Are they likely to report this?

Are you male?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im male, I paid in cash via the machine, I have never been in trouble with the police before and am very worried. I have not reported, I just the whole matter to go away.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, I misread your question, I have no idea if the will report it.

The short answer is that he could report it. It is difficult to say really.

I cannot really imagine that the police are likely to want to spend the time and resources that it would take to trace a withdrawal from public cash machine.

Also, they would be at risk if they reported it as they committed offences as well. Now, in fairness, that does not deter people as people are often stupid but it might help.

I would imagine this will be the last you'll hear of it.

Jo

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Many thanks

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for the advice, what would be the potential outcome if it was reported and the police got involved.

It depends really.

I presume you have no previous?

I'm happy to continue with this but please rate my answer.

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have no previous, ive never been in any trouble before

They will probably just give you a caution then. Even if it went to court it would only be a fine. Seems to me that they have more to lose although that does not necessarily stop people. Her boyfriend should learn not to get involved in her disputes. While sorting out her problems, which could have been avoided if she drove lawfully, he has committed offences.

This type of incident is why statistically it looks as though women are not violent - They get men to do it for them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** take up anymore of your time.

No problem.

It's very unlikely that you'll hear anything else.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm sorry to bother you again but I didn't add everything, once I got up off the floor after being assaulted by the driver I was getting some verbal abuse off a girl who I pushed away and said leave me alone. I didn't cause any injury the person but I genuinely believed it to be the driver. Worst case is to offences in under a minute on two different people, I presume criminal damage and common assault. What is the very worst I could expect if it goes to court. There was CCTV everywhere. Its the final possible punishment im very concerned about.

They will almost certainly give you a caution if anything happens at all.

They are not going to report it given their behaviour.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The second person was just a passer by making comment that I pushed not attached to the driver.

Sorry?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was assaulted by the driver whos car I kicked but after getting up off the floor I pushed a female passer by who was verbally abusing me, I thought it was the driver but it wasn't. I haven't hurt them it was a shove as I thought I was going to be assaulted again.

Yes, I understand.

They are not going to report this.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Last question, you have been a great help. Hypothetically, both complain, the whole story ends in the magistrates, the driver wants more money for the damage and the passer by doesn't appreciated being pushed. It doesn't look great, man pushes one woman, kicks the car of another!Very, very worse outcome and most likely given your experience, I have a clean record, aged 39 with 2 young children.

Even at court I would expect a fine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, does that mean a custodial sentence is a possibility?

Custody is possible for most offences but it is not going to happen.

most offences carry custody but it is way outside of the guidelines.

Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister