UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I was involved in a land registry mediation yesterday and…

Hi, I was involved in a...
I was involved in a land registry mediation yesterday and very nearly signed a document that denounced my application to a parcel of land next to my house in agreement for a 4 meter strip when the LR had given title to my neighbour by adverse possession, I never signed .i agreed to the conditions until after reading the draft them it was worded very different to what I verbally understood . So because I never signed is there anything that can be confirmed to the LR . Thankyou .
Please also appreciate this was the first mediation of this case and for me personnally, the person im in disagreement with is an experienced property developer . With far more resources than I to throw at it , the LR mediator was very persuasive and seemed to be working on behalf of my oppressor , I even got the impression my own solicitor was against me by agreeing to the terms , it took a couple of hours to fraught the agreement up after which time I did not sign as the detail in the draught did not match up with the way I understood it , even though I know the true facts I do not have the personal financial backing that my neighbour has . So I agreed to take a revised offer a small amount of land and a cash settlement , when I read the the draught the final settlement wording was being changed as I read , I was recommended that I accept to withdraw my application thus giving him no objection with the LR he would then give me a strip of land , but I could not enter the land of which I’ve always done for 10s of years as it ajourns my property . This would give him rights to erect a fence and he may never give me any land in return, although my solicitor says he’s legally bound to do so .
When in the mediation, looking back I feel I was lead down a path of agreement to the benefit of my opposite , I do not have the legal mindset to fully dissect what I was being told . It seemed to be a “ get the job done and get out of here “ approach by the mediator . What damage have I done to my case by verbally agreeing to the purposal although I never signed a thing .
In hindsight I wish I had not attended . It was costing in excess of £1400 for the hours between 9.45 and 17.00 hrs . My case was a strong one regarding g ownership .
3/15/2018
JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Senior Associate & Consultant
Hello, have you discussed this with your solicitor at all?Usually, it is only when an agreement is signed that it then becomes legally binding.In civil mediation, including land disputes, the mediation is entirely without prejudice and becomes legally binding once the parties have agreed terms AND it is deduced to writing AND then signed - until it is signed, the process is not legally binding.Therefore, if you as a party change your mind before signing, there is nothing to compel you to comply with the agreement, even though you may have orally agreed to it, and the process remains non-binding.I hope this answers your question - I’d be very grateful if you would kindly rate my answer.Best wishes,J
Thankyou very much indeed . That’s peace of mind . I will of course ask for you again . Top service , very fast response . Is there any other way around this situation ? It’s a large piece of land located next to our house . There is a tpo on the majority of land that my neighbour is trying to possess by adverse possession I am only trying to secure a quarter of his total claim which I believe is ours , he has no paper title and has not stepped foot on this land since 1996 and again in the last two years . He has been refused 3 times so far because he can not prove anything , whereas I can prove residence of the smaller area I’m claiming . He has considerable more finance than I . And just wondered even though I’d agreed this initially , will this impact on a decision if I were to go to court ? Thankyou again .

Thank you very much for the kind words.

My experience is somewhat limited to mediation and I do know the do's and don'ts associated with that particular forum.

I feel the best way forwards is to secure some free legal advice from a conveyance (I am not a conveyancer unfortunately). A lot of firms offer free legal advice (a telephone consultation either in person or over the telephone). I would recommend you speak to a firm which offers conveyancing - maybe try Slater & Gordon on 0161(###) ###-####and ask for some advice upon a land dispute.

Sorry I cannot assist further - best wishes

J

If you’d be so kind as to rate my answer above, many thanks
JimLawyer
Thankyou Jim , much appreciated and I’ve rated you 5***** all the way .
Much obliged! Have a good day