UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I have CCJ can that effect my British Passport Application.

I have CCJ can...

I have CCJ can that effect my British Passport Application. Currently i have ILR. Please advice?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

Its UK related not US

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

3/9/2018
JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Senior Associate & Consultant
Hello and thank you for the question. The Passport Agency does NOT do a credit check as part of its decision process for issuing a passport. You either qualify for one or you do not. That is a matter of your immigration status, not your financial status. If, on the other hand, you were applying for the right to have a British passport/remain in the UK for the first time and you had bad/significant debt against you then that might be a problem. Your current situation however gives no cause for concern as you already have ILR. So in summary, your CCJ will not in any way affect your passport application. I hope this has helped and if so if you would please click accept. Many thanks, J
Hi if you could please accept my answer, many thanks and have a good day
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your answer.But does it not fall under Character and Fitness section where HOME OFFICE can rejected by application for neutralization because I have a CCJ?Please advice?
Hi, it’s not a criminal issue to have a CCJ, however, if you wanted to apply to naturalise in the uk then it may cause a problem unless you can show you are making payments toward the CCJ. Are you doing that or is the CCJ still unpaid in full? Normally applications for naturalization will not be rejected if you have a CCJ and can show you have been making payments towards clearing it.
JimLawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.So as long i am make installments and making regular payments and apply for naturalization , Home Office will not refuse my application?Please advice?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am making payments towards my CCJ on installments and I have been doing that from last 9 months and now my British Passport is due. If that okay and Home Office will not refuse my application.Please advice?
That’s absolutely fine - they want to ensure you have been paying for at least a few months so you will have no problems. You can attach proof of your payments toward the CCJ when you apply for naturalization. I hope this helps and clarifies the matter. Many thanks and have a good evening. J
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your guidance and advice, much appreciated!
Not a problem and happy to help!
JimLawyer
JimLawyer