UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

My wife and I got divorced 6 months ago after 12 years. She…

Hi. My wife and I...
Hi. My wife and I got divorced 6 months ago after 12 years. She has custody and lives with our underage children (5 & 8 years old) in our old matrimonial house which was jointly purchased 11 years ago, and one that I stopped having any rights to after the divorce as part of our agreed financial statement. I have have, however, full access to the children with no terms or conditions applied. My ex-wife is now thinking of renting the spare room to a lodger to supplement her income. Despite me not having any rights to the property, do I have any powers in this decision making (veto, or having personal checks on the lodger), given the fact that my children still live in the house?
Look forward to hearing your response shortly.
Kind regards.
Paulo Azevedo
2/17/2018
JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Hi, you have shared parental responsibility and as such have a right to look after the children and if that means to ensure their safety by making checks on a lodger then the court would think that would be fine. You can insist with your ex wife that you are allowed to make checks to satisfy your concerns and if she objects then you can apply to the county court for a prohibitive steps and order and seek costs of your application from your ex wife. So it’s up to her in effect - I would try be reasonable with her and try agree this without an application to the court but at least if she rejects that then you have a remedy which the court will give you. Thanks and hope I’ve answered your question. Kind regards, James
JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor