UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I (55yrs) was watching tv on Saturday evening in my Mums…

Customer Question
Hi I (55yrs) was...

Hi I (55yrs) was watching tv on Saturday evening in my Mums kitchen when my brother (56yrs) came in and start to become aggrieved by me being there. My mum 86yrs had dementia and we have been supporting her welfare. My brother then escalates his mood and starts shouting threats in my face.. he then grabs hold of my shirt at my neck and pushes me backwards in the chair to the point where it flips back. I end up on the floor. He's still seathing obscenities at me threatening to rip my head off and smash my teeth in. ... later I get up notice I have minor bruising and a cut chin... this to me is unacceptable. What can I Do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you in the UK or are you in the States?

Uk

Lawyer's Assistant: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?

My ideal out come is to visit my mum free from the threat of him.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He's been the most difficult relationship in my life and I want an end to his violent ways towards me

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Law
2/14/2018
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 7 months ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

What are you hoping to do about this?

To achieve what?

I want to put a boundary up around him assaulting me

well, the only way to be certain that he will not do that is never to see him.

I suppose that could be achieved in a number of ways. One is you moving out and not having anything to do with them. Another is him moving out although that is a matter for him.

You could make a report to the police although that does not prevent further instances.

If you don't live there then you could arrange visits around his presence. Might be sensible in the circumstances.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

He seems to think he can force his argument on me backed up by physical bullying without any repercussions. I think I will report it to the police

You can do that.

It would address this issue at least.