UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

One of my drivers had a accident with my van at work the van…

one of my drivers had...
one of my drivers had a accident with my van at work the van was 3 rd party fire and theft the driver said that a truck hit her on the motorway and she did not get any information from the truck as she said it kept on driving.due to this her word is the only proof of evidence. and with that in mind i have told her she needs to pay for the damages to the vehicle and she is refusing
1/23/2018
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Why does the employee need to pay?

She is self employed contractor and she had no witnesses of the accident the vehicle was 3rd party fire theft insured if she had got the information of the so called vehicle that hit her it would probably be different

Ok - but did your contract with the person say they would be responsible for the damages?

She didn't call me straight away or the police to report the accident she waited to the next day to let me no

Ok - if you have a contract which says she is liable then you are ok.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. If you need more help, you can ask follow up questions for free and I would be delighted to assist. Thanks!

Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Thank u very much this has answered my questions

Great. If I could ask you to rate before you go, so that I am paid! Thanks