UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I was caught stealing from work and admitted everything and…

I was caught stealing...

I was caught stealing from work and admitted everything and gave all the items back. The police were still called and I was arrested on the day and the goods were recovered from my house with me cooperating fully.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am in the uk

Lawyer's Assistant: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?

I also admitted to falsifying medical documents at the time which have now been backdated

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is all

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/21/2018
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

How can I help with this please?

I was caught stealing goods from work last Tuesday and admitted everything. The police were called on site and the goods were seized from my house with my full cooperation. I also admitted falsifying medical certificates which have now been backdated. This is my first Offence and I have been dismissed from work. What will the course of action the police take now? Will I go to prison?

What is the sum of the loss?

Around £3,500. Everything has been returned

What was your job?

Retail sales assistant

Thank you.

Custody is quite unlikely but I'm afraid that it will be a high-level community order. This is serious offending involving a breach of trust and I can see immediately that they will be saying quite a significant degree of premeditation and planning.

On the upside, they have recovered everything.

Also your early admissions are helpful.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

What is a community order? Does this apply to the medical certificates also? What am I likely to be facing for this?

It depends.

They could charge you with forgery and then the sentencing options rack up but that isn't likely really. They don't commonly do that. Normally they would say the theft from employer captures the criminality.

The medical certificates have now been backdated by my doctor and the illnesses confirmed.Can you advise what kind of punishment I am looking at from the courts with the two Offences combined? This is my first encounter with the police and have explained that I have domestic issues which have influenced my behavior during the time of the theft. The thefts was taken place over a course of 6 months, not all together

If they charge the forgery then it would be custody.

I suppose you may be very lucky and get a suspended.

What is a suspended?

A suspended prison sentence.

I'm happy to continue with this but please rate my answer.

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
am I likelylooking at a prison sentence for this?

Only if they charge the medical certificate.

if they do not you will get a suspended sentence.

They are not going to.

How likely are they to charge the forgery?
for both of the Offences commited im likely looking at a community order/fine and a suspended sentence? Is this correct?

No.

I suppose you may be very lucky and get a suspended

They are not going to.

They are not going to what?
How likely are they to charge me with the forgery?

As I have said, that is not likely.