UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

It's really a simple question Someone wasted my time by

It's really a simple...

It's really a simple question Someone wasted my time by refusing to pay for items on eBay. I cancelled his purchase, then amended my listing to say "a time wasted by going by the eBay name xxx has just wasted my time. Sellers beware". now he's threatening legal action. does he have a case for defamation ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

UK London

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I responded to him saying the statement is truthful and to take action if he wished. I also said that I was willing to amend the listing if he apologised for the bombardments of ugly messages he sent me - I kept my responses to these messages at a bare minimum to say his order will be cancelled.

1/21/2018
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor

No he cannot take legal action. What you said was true, he failed to complete the purchase and wasted your time. Defences to any claim for libel/defamation are that the statements are true or "fair comment" based on the circumstances.

If there are any further points please reply I will be happy to respond.

Kindly either accept or rate my answer on the system so I get credit for my time

Best wishes

Michael

Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor