UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Oh I was enquiring if I can attempt to retrieve a large sum…

Oh hello I was...

Oh hello I was enquiring if I can attempt to retrieve a large sum of money loaned to someone on trust

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Uk

Lawyer's Assistant: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?

I loaned this person (a friend) in 2010 (10K) I understand that he was to receive approx. 80K froma long term savings account that matures next month. We are no longer friends and I will not get the money without a fight

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is there a charge for help ?

Lawyer's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

Ok

I do not have any physical proof of the loan only my word and others who know about it
1/21/2018
Alex J.
Alex J., Litigator

Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Did you pay the loan in cash? When did you last send a demand for repayment? Kind regards AJ

I have not sent a demand yet. The full story is that the person I loaned the money to was my son-in-law. At the time he was with mu daughter. I felt no need for a written agreement, however he left my daughter 1 year ago for another woman, The agreement hinged on the fact that he had a long term (10 yr) investment that will mature next month. (Feb 18). I intend to send him an invoice for the full amount (10k) and allow him until the end of March to pay. But, I wanted to clarify whether I have a claim without written evidence. John.
PS. I am disabled and sometimes cannot always use my laptop, and I have difficulty using a telephone.

Thank you. Did you pay him the money in cash? Kind regards AJ

There were a number of amounts aver a period of 1 month by Bank Transfer I think
I have just discussed this with my wife and the payments were cash drawn out of our Barclays Account and paid cash into his account. There was also a number of expenses paid by us for deposit for accommodation and removal charges from Aberdeen to Norfolk

Thank you. Do you have bank statements to evidence this? Does the debtor actually have the funds to repay you? Kind regards AJ

I should be able to trace the lump sum outgoings at that time and list the items we helped to pay for. The debtor told me he would be receiving a sum in excess of 80k February. I am unable to speak to him but I do have his address.

Thank you. You don’t need a written contract. Evidence of the money going out your account, emails and text messages etc can be used as evidence. If you lent him the money you should consider the claim. My main concern is the time frames. A debt that has gone six years without demand or acknowledgement could be statute barred. Has he ever acknowledged the debt in the last ten years? Kind regards AJ

Alex J.
Alex J., Litigator
Hi AJ, Yes, up until about a year ago, when he left my daughter, we refered to it openly with him and my daughter. I think I need to draw up an invoice and send it to him giving him time to pay and see what response I get. What do you think?
john

Thank you. I think it would be sensible to send him a formal written demand. This does not have to be an invoice, it can just be a letter to his home address demanding repayment. I give him 14 days to repay and say if he does not you reserve the right to take any action available to you including court action. https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome - You can start a money claim here, but make sure you have your bank statements as evidence before commencing.

Sorry I have not replied sooner but I have been unwell. However, I want to thank you sincerely ***** ***** your help and advice. I will send him a demand and offer him 14 days to pay. I will not send it until Feb 1st as that is supposed to be the date he gets his payment. If I take this further ( court proceeding etc) I will contact you again for a more comprehensive arrangement.
many thanks and regards
john