UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I'd been arrested for having a knuckle duster in my bag and…

I'd been arrested for...

I'd been arrested for having a knuckle duster in my bag and a very small hammer in the UK, I have had previous for weapons but none for 8 years. Could you tell me if Iam likely to go to prison. Many thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

UK, London, 2 days ago

Lawyer's Assistant: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?

Iam out on police bail, a fine, prison would mean I'd lose my job

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Good job, happy home life, not of a drink problem but Iam in counselling for that

1/20/2018
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Was it a knife last time?

Bladed item, there was a knife in my car
But it wasn't charged as offensive as it was part of my tool kit

If this is a knuckle duster then you won't meet the mandatory minimum as it isn't a blade.

however, if you are caught with a blade again it will be the mandatory minimum of six months and it won't matter how long ago the first was.

the reality is that they will probably find a way around custody. Knuckle dusters are offensive per se which tends to upset the courts. A hammer has an innocent purpose but, when carried with a knuckle duster, probably fits the criteria for a weapon!

But since it is not a blade they will probably suspend it.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

That's what I was hoping for, would it be worth while getting a solicestor to attend with me
Many thanks

You would probably get legal aid.

You would certainly be entitled to use duty.

Ok thanks for the help

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister