UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Jo, How are you today? I was given a parking ticket there…

Customer Question
Hi Jo,How are you today?I...
Hi Jo,How are you today?I was given a parking ticket there were no roadmarkings but a single sign at the entry point and one 30m to the front of my parked car.I appealed the ticket based on the above and they say its still stands as the area is loading bay and sometimes they do not put yellow lines or road markings as they are and I quote: unsightly and need maintenance.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/17/2018
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 7 months ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Hi what is your question about this please?

Was the ticket unlawful?
The area was a loading bay but there were no road markings to accompany the single post sign at entry, or the one to the far front of my vehicle about 30m away. I didn't see why I couldn't park there

Who is the issuer please?

The parking enforcement group representing the local council of Brentwood, Essex

So the local council is the original issuer?

its on behalf of them on public road

So you parked in a loading bay?

With signs but no road markings?

just one sign on the other side of the road at entry point but none on the side of the road where my car was parked. No road markings. nothing on the curb..just the sign.
no loading bay lines either, just tarmac road
this was apparently a loading 'area' not a specific loading 'bay' its designated by a single sign on one side of the road, the opposite side of the road that I parked on, which had no signage at all or road markings, its just a normal road, no lines, bays or markings

How far away from the sign was it roughly?

i have attached a plan drawing...about 5>8m away on the opposite side of the road

Thank you.

It is obviously difficult for me to assess distances from a diagram and I know that some of Essex Borough Council signs are not adequate. However, that looks like the sign was fairly close and clear and the reason necessarily a requirement for this the road markings as well as signs.

When you appeal or not is ultimately a matter for you. It is sometimes worth doing because often they fail to prepare for these things. However if everything were properly prepared the decision probably would be that that is an adequate and compliance notification and you were in breach unless of course you were loading.

I'm very sorry but I can only give you truthful information.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo