UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

My question is my ex is applying to vary his maintenance…

Hi. My question is...

Hi. My question is my ex is applying to vary his maintenance payments to me due to personal circumstances. Of course I have spoken to family members about this as we are not in courts. He has a lawyer and I do not at this point in time. I now find out this same lawyer is also representing him in a lengthy ongoing battle with his brothers over estate issues. I thought this was finished July 2016. So now one of his brothers has used word of mouth information about his recent circumstance with his mental state and employment against him in this other legal case. I feel his lawyer should have said something to me and informed me this other case was still ongoing and not to disclose specific information. So does this lawyer have a bonus of responsibility to inform me at all? Sorry it’s so lengthy, Gayle

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Oh dear, didn’t realise this was US. I’m in the UK. Just want to know if lawyer has some responsibility

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No she basically sent me an email accusing me of sharing documented information which is not true

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Said could be contempt of court

1/10/2018
Clare
Clare, Solicitor

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

For clarity - you spoke to your former brother in law and your ex's solicitor has complained about it - is that correct?

I have spoken to my nephew of one of the brothers as he is my financial advisor and manages my invested pensions, I have spoken to his mom my sister in law who is married to one of the brothers, and the brother that wrote legally also txt me on linked in and it was short but he knows my situation also. No documentation ever given just me mentioning my personal situation. He was the one who said their case finished July 2016! So if it was an ongoing case and the lawyer handling the variance with me is the same lawyer dealing with the brothers should have given me a heads up! Never was I instructed that I should not discuss my personal situation with anyone or else I wouldn’t have! Just need to know if as a lawyer does she have an onus of responsibility to inform me? Also is it still ethical to handle the two cases together if there is worry of information crossing? I’m just very uncomfortable with being threatened when I had no idea there was another legal case on the go.
Plus it might help to know that my case is not a court case. We are just discussing amongst ourselves a new figure for maintenance so we are doing financial disclosure. Nothing has been discussed with others about any of the financial aspects only the fact that my ex has had to step down from his high managerial job to a part time position as he has low moods and difficulty sleeping! Everyone does! I do because of this situation so my variance is not in the courts. Thought this might help a bit more.

In fact you are entitled to talk to whoever you wish - you are under no obligation not to discuss your personal position with your wider support system - nor indeed to keep documentation to yourself.

If there was an issue of confidentiality then it was for the lawyer to notify you - she cannot complain now!

I hope that this is of assistance

Please ask if you need further details

Thank you so much very helpful!!!

You are most welcome

Clare
Clare, Solicitor