UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

Police have arrived at my door to inform me I have an

Hi, Police have arrived at my...
Police have arrived at my door to inform me I have an interview at the police station with Caution +3 due to an alleged indecent exposure accusation. The lady has reported that I have allegedly exposed myself when she arrived at my home delivering food I've ordered online.
That is not the case - I had just got out of shower and since she was knocking on my door, I put on a t-shirt and running shorts (without underwear) and opened the door. I believe that she was offended by a bulge that was pretty obvious (due to no underwear) and even though I said I'm sorry, I just got out of shower, the lady was very angry and stormed out.
Given the fact that this happened in my private place and there were no witnesses, what would likely outcome be in this case? I have a good reputation and not a blemish on my record. Should I stay very silent in the interview or explain exactly what happened? This is an outrageous accusation and I would like to completely clear my name.
Thanks.
1/10/2018
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Just to be clear, she didnt 'see' anything?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She claims that she did see my penis, but that's not true and I believe that she might have either 1. Got offended my the bulge or 2. Misinterpreted the situation as I was wearing yellow shorts in a dimly lit room that "looked" like I was not wearing anything.

Ok - well you dont need to worry then.
They would have to show that you did it on purpose and to cause alarm.

You did not. She didn't see it. She thought she did.

So you should say what happened, don't say silent.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks, that's a relief, although I am still very nervous as this is the first time I've had to attend the police station in my life.I have read a lot about this and I gathered that even though there are no witnesses, you are still likely to be charged based on the "victim's" word as she has no reason to lie. Why is my case so clear cut? Is it because my home is a private place, lack of witnesses or something else? At the end of the day it's still "victim's" word against mine.

I can imagine. Charging is different to being found guilty.

It may pass the prosecution test, but not the conviction test.

The Police would have to prove, beyond doubt, she saw your willy and it was intentional.

Does that assist?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What would you recommend doing in case they do go forward with the charge? Does it require costly solicitors, or would a free legal representative suffice?I was of the opinion that if they believe they won't win the case, they wouldn't press charges?Thanks for your help, but I'm looking for some more clarification on all possible scenarios. I will be sure to rate you with 5 stars once I ask a few more follow ups.

I would get a Solicitor or Public Barrister to represent you.

There are 2 stages the CPS consider:

1) Is there enough evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction

2) Is it in the public interest

Does that assist?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How likely would you say CPS are to proceed in my specific case?You were very helpful, thanks. Is it okay to keep the thread open until after my interview next week should I have an urgent question related to this?

I don't think they will. It was a misunderstanding. They can't say you did it on purpose.

Does that assist?

Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Hi Jamie, I will certainly rate your service Excellent, but I wanted to ask a follow up question or two after my interview. If I rate you now, I will not be able to ask again on the same thread? Thanks

You will be able to, it does not close.
Does that clarify?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi,Can you please respond and rem9ve my name on the thread, which I did not post?Thanks,

Sure.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Jamie,Someone copied over an email message privately to yourself onto this thread. Can you look back and remove a message with my name?
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Hi Jamie.Update on my situation:I have visited the police station and interviewed without a solicitor. I have been very honest and did not avoid any questions. I just heard from the investigating officer that the police won't take further action on this case and I will not get a record, which is a relief - thanks to your excellent advise and support.My question is - if, say, sometime in the future reports/accuses me of anything else, will the police be able to refer to this current accusation? That is, is it kept in police records for a while?Thanks!
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor