UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

A friend of mine is getting married in a weeks time and has…

Customer Question
Hi there,A friend of mine...
Hi there,A friend of mine is getting married in a weeks time and has just found out from the venue that they are moving his wedding to a different room because they’ve double booked the wedding room.My friend has already fully paid the venue and has an invoice confirming full payment and confirming the room they are supposed to be in.What options do they have here? Changing the venue at such short notice isn’t possible but are they entitled to any money back as they are now not getting what they originally paid for and have no time whatsoever to make alternative arrangements.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Law
1/5/2018
Solicitor: lucy7368,
 replied 7 months ago
lucy7368

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Do you know the differences between the rooms your friend booked and the room they're getting instead? Size, price, overall look, etc?

Also, what state are you in?

Hi Lucy,We are in the uk, sorry for not specifying that at the start
Solicitor: lucy7368,
 replied 7 months ago

That's OK. Let me transfer you to a UK lawyer.

Have a good day. I hope the wedding goes well.

Can someone answer my question please?
Solicitor: Jenny Mackenzie,
 replied 7 months ago
Jenny Mackenzie

Hello my name is ***** ***** you still like help with this? What outcome do you seek here?

Hi Jenny,I’m wondering whether the venue are within their rights to change the room that was booked at the eleventh hour. It doesn’t seem right or fair when it’s all been paid in full and confirmation received.
Solicitor: Jenny Mackenzie,
 replied 7 months ago

They are in breach of contract to fail to honour the booking. However if they have given a full refund unless there are consequential losses to the couple who contracted to hire the room there is little else that can be done as the law in the UK does not give damages for 'feelings or inconvenience'.

In practical terms this means that they may be responsible for paying any additional costs if they have to hire an alternative room at an increased rate due to the proximity to the date or if they have to pay additional transportation costs. Equally if they end up cancelling the wedding (which I sincerely ***** ***** not happen) the venue might be liable to any lost deposits etc.

If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.