UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I've been asked to go in for interview for assault by

Customer Question
Hi, I've been asked...

Hi, I've been asked to go in for interview for sexual assault by touching, this is voluntary, I'll be taking the duty solicitor and I think I was in the area at the time but don't remember exactly. The Officer has said he thinks it will take a couple of weeks to resolve, what are your thoughts based on the time scale are they expecting this to go to court or is it a normal length of time to investigate. This incident happend 1 month ago.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

This is in the UK

Lawyer's Assistant: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?

No action yet, I'm going in for a voluntary interview tomorrow, I was told that they may arrest me if I dont go in

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats it, I'm just trying to expect outcomes

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: UK Law
1/2/2018
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 3 months ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Hi please explain exactly the circumstances that it took place - thanks

Hi, I was out for a corporate event that night from 5pm we were drinking. I remember feeling very down and I was talking about how my wife has said she wants to split a few weeks before. I vagly remember going to the second bar and said I would go dancing. 2 guys were dancing with me and one of them had a drink from my glass (I think), after this the next think I remember was walking down the road upset about everything, then I was home, this was on the 1st dec, today I was asked to go in voluntarily for an interview under caution
I asked if everything would bwould be resolved tomorrow and the CID officer said that it would probably be 2 weeks but quite short
The officer I think mentioned that I supposadly touched the girl on the bum, I wasn't out with any girls that night so it must have been a stranger
hi Is there any update on this?

Is your defence that is just didn't happen?

I don't know if it did or not, I'd had too much to drink, not spoken with the police yet
What are your thoughts and why the CID officer thinks that it will take 2 weeks to resolve
is it likely to go to court or would I recieve a caution or does it indicate they don't think they will have enough evidence
I'm really anxious and hoping this is just a miss understanding

I would imagine because he is proposing to offer a caution which he will need to check with CPS.

That is all very well but it will lead to addition upon the sex offenders register so shouldn't be ta***** *****ghtly. On your current account anyway you cannot really accept a caution because you cannot remember the incident.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

He's not offered a caution just said that it will take about 2 weeks to conclude
what are your thoughts on this?

Well, really as I said above?

is there ever an option for a caution not to require registration on the sex offenders register?
Also if in the future I change jobs and they ask about criminal convictions etc. would I have to disclose this if I have signed under a caution rather than
via a crime?
or rather a court sentence

No.

You would only have to disclose cautions if you are asked about them but it would show on enhanced checking forever and standard checking for five years.

It is really the register that most people want to avoid.

what is advanced checking used for?

Not many people are enhanced checked.

It is for those working with children or vulnerable adults.

Standard is a bit more widespread.

I don't think you could accept a caution anyway as you currently deny the offence.

I'm happy to continue with this but please rate my answer.

Thanks, ***** ***** I need to here what the police have to say tomorrow. I'm hoping this is a big misunderstanding. If I were on the sex offenders register would I be able to move to another country outside of the UK (This is something that has been talked about for a few months)
certainly will rate your answer no problem

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/

Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister