UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I am concerned I have breached my lease agreement. I

Customer Question
I am concerned I...

I am concerned I have breached my lease agreement. I purchased a flat less than two years ago under probate. One of the rooms had a doorway to the hall way, plus a second double doorway to the lounge. I decided a couple of months ago to replace the double door with a stud wall to make the room more usable. Another flat in my building is up for sale with the same lay out and does not have the double door way. I had assumed that the double door way had been put in at a later date and so I was reverting it back to original state. However when the work was being done it does look like the building intentionally had the double doorway built in. I'm not in the process of remortaging and have an offer and completed a valuation. I now worried that I will need to state that I had this work done and what that will mean for the re mortage. Or should a put right the work and reapply. I don't think I have time to apply for consent (I need to remortage quickly for other reasons). . hope this all makes sense. thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No. The penny only really dropped last night after I read the lease in finer detail.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the flat located?

UK

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/22/2017
Solicitor: Aston Lawyer, Solicitor replied 7 months ago
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor

Hi, thanks for your enquiry. I don't believe you have much to worry about, in that it des not appear that you have made any structural alterations to the flat, and you have merely put up a stud wall.

Although I have not of course seen your Lease, most Leases stipulate that you should not make any STRUCTURAL alterations without the Landlord's consent. The Valuation may or may not refer to the stud wall, although a Valuation would only mention any structural alterations that have been carried out, as these would have required Building Regulations approval/Landlord's consent.

The worst that can therefore happen is that the Valuation does indeed refer to the alterations, and you would just need to inform your Solicitor that no structural work was carried out, and only if your Lease states that "no alterations be carried out without the Landlord's consent (as opposed to no structural alterations should be carried out without the Landlord's consent) will your Solicitor raise it as a query, and in which circumstances, you could offer to replace the stud wall with the double doors.

I hope this helps and sets out the legal position. If so, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer in the top right hand corner of your screen. Kind Regards Al