UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I am a freelance PA and I go on a freelancing website where…

Customer Question
I am a freelance PA...
I am a freelance PA and I go on a freelancing website where people put on projects and freelancers put on proposals and bid on projects/ jobs.
In early October there was a project I bidded for which was a gentleman who said he owned his own business and wanted to put some things on Ebay to sell which he didn't have time to do himself and I would get 5% commission.
I didn't question the project or that I would be using my own Ebay account there are often similar projects on there from people who have a E commerce/drop shipping business and often hire a number of people and ask them to use their Ebay accounts to gain a wider audience of customers.
The gentleman gave me the item details and photos and I put it on Ebay for him. The item was brought by a metal company for 4,000.
The gentleman asked me to transfer the money to my account via PayPal minus the Ebay fees and my commission.
I did so and he said he would arrange delivery to the customer.
The delivery never happened and the buyer has now raised a dispute with Ebay as he never received his item. I have tried to contact the client who I was working for but he is not answering any Emails (I do not have any other contact information for him)
I contacted my bank on Friday and they said that they will try and trace the money but can't make any promises they will recover it. I also contacted Action Fraud department of the police and I have a NFRC number. I contacted Ebay to ask if they could not make a decision on the dispute till at least I've heard back from the bank or Action Fraud. they said the matter would be dealt with by a manager and I will hear within 3-5 days.
I heard back today and they have decided to resolve the dispute in the buyers favour and want to withdraw the £4,000 from my bank as it was my Ebay/PayPal.
I do not have £4,000 and feel it is unjustified as I had no idea this man was a con and I was conned too as well as the buyer.
I have all the emails sent from and to the client and buyer and the details of the bank transfer.
Is there anyway I could fight this decision.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/18/2017
Solicitor: Jamie-Law, Solicitor replied 8 months ago
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor

Hello my make is Jamie and I will help you.

How did you transfer the money to your client?

Through an international bank transfer by my bank (Barclays) like I said in my original text I have contacted them to try and trace and get the money back for me but they said they can not guarantee they would be able to do this. The transfer was international as even though the client said he was based in Aberdeen the transfer was made to a Italian bank. He did mention a business partner though so I just thought it was to him.

Indeed, have you spoke to the police or your bank?

I've spoken to both as I've said in my original text I have spoken to my bank and they said they will try but can not guarantee they can trace the money or get it back for me.I spoke to Action Fraud and they have given me a NFRC number, I asked if I should talk to my local police but they assured me that they will probably send my details to Action Fraud anyway as they are the Fraud handling investigation team for the police.Please read original text.

I assume it was sold through your eBay axoc**t?

& account &

it was.
it was

It’s bad news then I am afraid. It was sold from your account which means you are liable,

This is a risk you take when you sell it from your account. This is a well known scam.

Fraudsters contact people and offer them a sum for either receiving payments or selling items which do not exist.

I am sorry to say in the eyes of the law you are liable.

The buyer contracted with you and as such have a responsibility.

But the police are looking into it, so it may be that they convince eBay not to pursue you.

But in the eyes of the law you are liable.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Solicitor: Jamie-Law, Solicitor replied 7 months ago

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the bottom of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.