UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I'm remortgaging with HSBC -- the deed is both in my name…

Customer Question
Hi I'm remortgaging with...

Hi I'm remortgaging with HSBC -- the deed is both in my name and my wife's. The mortgage was with us both but the remortgage is just in my name. Optima says they insist on evidence of independent legal advice but also sent us a consent form for her to sign basically saying she has to vacate the property if the property is repossessed. Are they allowed to insist on the evidence of legal advice? We got a quote from one company for £420

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

London

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don't understand

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Law
12/12/2017
Solicitor: Clare, Solicitor replied 7 months ago
Clare
Clare, Solicitor

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Why is the remortgage in your sole name?

Interesting -- not quite sure why that's relevant but:
1. in my new job I can afford to pay the mortgage just on my salary.
2. My wife is a freelancer and historically banks have been averse to mortgaging to freelancers.We need to make a decision asap (today) as we're going on holiday on Friday. We know the other options are:
a) reapply with my wife's name but this will require more paperwork and we don't know if they'll accept her employment status
b) transfer of equity but this is very expensive (land registry alone is £910) and my wife wants to retain a share in the house regardless of who is actually paying the mortgage.