UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I have an independent sales agent working for us in the UK.

Customer Question
I have an independent...

I have an independent sales agent working for us in the UK. She has submit for a resignation with no reason. One month after she files sue against us for 100K Euro compensation. She said it is by law.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

It is in London United Kingdom

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

The sales agent is not an employee. We have a contract agreement but found it was not signed. This sales agent works for several company as an independent sales agent and is not an exclusive agent with us

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know. Is it by law we have to compensate the agent despite the agent resign voluntary. How do they calculate the amount of compensation or any formula set by law.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Law
12/13/2017
Solicitor: Alex J., Litigator replied 7 months ago
Alex J.
Alex J., Litigator

Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. On what basis has she calculated the £100k? Under the Commercial Agents Regulations 1993 S17 there is an indemnity available for commercial agents on termination of a contract. It is calculated as follows:

The amount of the indemnity shall not exceed a figure equivalent to an indemnity for one year calculated from the commercial agent’s average annual remuneration over the preceding five years and if the contract goes back less than five years the indemnity shall be calculated on the average for the period in question.

Is there anything in her contract that excludes these regulation? Kind regards AJ