UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I have an aesthetic laser machine which the

Customer Question
I have an aesthetic...

I have an aesthetic laser machine which the manufacturer/agent is refusing to supply the parts. They will only supply AND fit

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you in the UK or are you in the States?

Uk

Lawyer's Assistant: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?

Nothing I have a machine which has a faulty touchscreen I can replace it myself but the company will on ly supply and fit not just sell the part to me are t hey allowed to do this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Law
12/6/2017
Solicitor: Jamie-Law, Solicitor replied 8 months ago
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

On what basis wont they just supply the parts?

I think they just want to monopolise the market. I would like to know what law they are breaking. I understand there was something similar with vehicle manufacturers called 'block exemption' which meant they had to make all parts and special tooling/diagnostics available to independent garages. I am an independent multiple clinic owner and I service and maintain my own equipment. I have been trained in the US on how to repair & service my machines. The manufacturers agent is refusing to supply ANY part which they class as a service item and will ONLY supply AND fit those parts with high labour rates.

Do you have an existing contract with these people?

No machines are long out of warranty

This sounds like a scam to me. Sadly you cant force them to sell you just the parts, unless you get a Court order.

I would complain initially to Trading Standards. They can investigate the matter and prosecute if there is anything illegal.

If you want to get a Court order you would need to complete form N208:

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n208-eng.pdf

The Court would list the matter down and decide whether to make an order against them.

If they breach the order this could be contempt of Court which they may be warned, fined or sent to prison.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!