UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I bought a computer on eBay saying it had not turned up and…

Customer Question
Please help me. I bought...
Please help me. I bought a computer on eBay saying it had not turned up and they signed for it without my knowledge (which they did as I then found it outside my front door). And filed a claim saying it had not been received and the courier company have investigated and now closed the claim- presumably they have confirmed I did receive the computer and now I am very scared. Will the police turn up at my house, what will I be committed for? I am currently on sick leave from work with MS so struggling and I just want to admit guilt (have a precious spent caution from 5 years ago and haven't done anything since) will I go to jail?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Law
It was filed over 12 weeks ago.I sent an email asking for the claim to be withdrawn two weeks ago though the seller was away and isn't pick this up.I sent the claim form from the actual computer I was claiming for so it was no doubt easy to track.I have not heard back why they have closed the claim but this could be the only reason- i.e. Finding me guilty.Last update they told me was they were looking into more info on the computer as it didn't look like it was lost.I don't know whether to call and admit guilt, hand myself in etc???
12/2/2017
Solicitor: Jamie-Law, Solicitor replied 7 months ago
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you,

Have you withdrawn your claim?

No I requested the seller to withdraw it two weeks ago, but he did not receive it as he was away and then did not go ahead with it as he was going to call them and check the status- which he told me it was then closed. So, there's evidence I requested it but then we also decided to continue with the claim upon the update

Ok - have you had the £ back?

No I have not had the £ back, the claim was closed (not in my favour) but they would not explain why.-most obvious is they have found out false claim) but it was for the value of £440 including delivery.

Ok. So you have the item now still?

as I paid for it.

Then I woudnt not worry about it.

You have paid for an item and received it.

The Police wont do anything, as you have the item. All you have done is make a false report.

I would not worry about this as everyone is back where they were.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the bottom of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.