UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I was wondering if you could help me with a question about…

Customer Question
Hello John,I was wondering if...
Hello John,I was wondering if you could help me with a question about licensing law? You may already be aware of an acquaintance of mine who opened up a furniture shop in Farnham Surrey, that gave away free alcohol. He then asked the recipient of said alcohol to support his business by buying a piece of furniture (a beer mat). The council were unable to close him down (not for lack of trying) for over a year until an undercover police officer caught a staff member selling alcohol. He was then forced to get a license and soon after lost interest and sold the business.I would like to know if the licensing laws have changed since 2013 and if not, if opening an art gallery providing patrons with free alcohol and then selling them as a separate transaction an art print, conveniently beer mat shaped, would be in breach of any licensing laws?I understand this is a rather ambiguous and grey area and I can provide more details on request, any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated,Many thanks,Jamie Jones
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 day by:
12/2/2017
Solicitor: Nick H, Solicitor replied 7 months ago
Nick H
Nick H, Solicitor

Hello

You are correct this is a grey area and therefore one that is overlooked by authority until it becomes too big a deal.

Like many things these days - if you are looking to bend the rules then a blind eye is taken - if you are looking to change them

authority gets involved on public policy grounds.

Hello Nick,Sorry I thought I was addressing a fellow named John who had the accolade ‘licensing law specialist’ so sorry for the presumptuous question. I am aware of the ambiguous nature of a business model of this sort, hence why I ask the question; have licensing laws changed since 2013, would any laws be broken if alcohol were freely given away at such an establishment?Many thanks,Jamie

Hello Jamie

Apologies - I saw the question had not been answered. If he comes back I will let him take over.

I think that the council would become involved if it was clear that the establishment was a drinking den.

However private view galleries operate around the country and have done very similar for centuries.

I don't think that the 2013 laws have changed much, but will check later and get back.