UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I wish to know if I can sue Stockport Council for emotional…

Customer Question
I wish to know...

I wish to know if I can sue Stockport Council for emotional distress over receiving 2 notices of enforcement at my address for someone who has no connection with me or my address. I have lived here since July 2011 and am the only person here on the electoral register here and have had no previous dealings with the council with regards ***** ***** person.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am in the United Kingdom - cheshire

Lawyer's Assistant: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?

I have spoken to the Bailiffs and they have put a "trace" on the accounts, however my wife is very upset which is what has me so angry at why this has happened

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not really

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: UK Law
11/29/2017
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 9 months ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

No.

Emotional distress is not a head of compensation in the UK.

In any event, it is not really made out upon receiving enforcement notices. I do understand that it is an inconvenience to have to deal with incorrectly issued noticed but it is not traumatic I'm afraid.

I'm very sorry but this is just not a ground of compensation in the UK.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo