UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I suffered a distressing experience at the hands of a store…

Customer Question
I suffered a distressing...

I suffered a distressing experience at the hands of a store manager at my home, on the pretence of supposedly delivering an item which was wrongly supplied in the store, i.e. when unpacked not what I had taken to the counter, not the first time for this store...then had my CC blocked when a their pin reader said incorrect pin, but provided a refund after attending twice for this to be sorted. The outcome was a premeditated/organised visit (store manager had investigated I would be taking receipt of the delivery of the item by him/his staff) to find a male staff member from the store (a middle class store), at my home, demonstrating a shocking attitude, and threw an envelope at me, and shouting in front of my neighbours, the said envelope wasn't the receipt it was a personal letter banning me because "we cannot meet you r customer needs", because I had complained in varying emails about poor service. While they don't have a unique USP, I feel this approach is highly unprofessional and unacceptable. Emailing the Chairman/Customer relations director, had o effect, shocked at my age...almost 60 to experience this shocking behaviour...

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

Oh sorry UK? It was a John Lewis store, shopped with them for thirty five years and it was a recently newly opened store in a near by city...I have had react to complain prior with other stores, as someone things do go wrong but its how you put them right that counts...JL just chose to ban the complainant...and to say, I have never been banned from anywhere for anything!!!

Lawyer's Assistant: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?

I have emailed the Chairman, Customer experience director etc. and no response. As they have no USP my only desire is to have an apology for the visit to my home and the aggressive and underhand nature of such behaviour, John Lewis I can live without!

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats the full extent of the scenario, apart from email proof etc etc, Im a great advocate of a paper trail...

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: UK Law
11/27/2017
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

What do you specifically wish to know about this please?

After describing the experience, I don't believe it should be acceptable to firstly wanna customer for complaints about service, done so in an amicable manner, and furthermore the heavy handed approach from this guy sending his store staff to hand deliver a letter and embarrass/intimidate me at my home is taking a situation to a bizarre and rather extreme level, especially when the complaint were legitimate and their approach was unprofessional, rather like market stall traders and not JL.

thanks leave it with me and I will reply early this afternoon

Thanks for your patience. Whilst I fully empathise with your situation, your legal rights will be very limited. First of all they have aright to ban you, even if you had done nothing wrong or they were the ones at fault. There is no ‘right’ to be their customer or for them to have your custom - they are entirely free to decide who they sell to and they can ban you for no reason if they wanted to.

In terms of the ‘heavy-handed’ approach, whilst morally questionable, it does not give any legal grounds for complaint. Embarrassing you like this is a moral issue, not a legal one.

So it all basically means that you cannot force them to resolve this in terms of issuing an apology or overturning their ban. These are all outcomes done entirety at their own discretion. There is no legal remedy you an use to ensure this happens and the best you can do is continue pursuing it directly with the retailer, or publicising your experience online on social media or the media, if they would be interested.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the actual legal position. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service I have provided regardless of the contents of the answer, I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. Thank you

Ben Jones
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer