UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

My father abused me for many years (violent not ). I never…

Customer Question
My father abused me...

My father abused me for many years (violent not sexual). I never had to visit hospital but I did tell a number of staff members at my school about the abuse. They always left it up to me whether the reporting should go further (I don’t think this would be the case now). I always declined because a) I was afraid to break up my family and b) if they hadn’t taken me away there and then, I feared he would kill me. He also raped my mum - an attack I heard. Without physical evidence other than being each other’s witnesses, is he still liable for his crimes 25 years on?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Ah. This in the the UK.

Lawyer's Assistant: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?

Nothing. I’ve never contacted police. I’m nearly 40 and I’m still afraid of him.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don’t know what I want. Maybe just some protection that, if I try to cut him off, that he’s bit free to hurt me. *not

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: UK Law
11/26/2017
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 5 months ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

You can make a report to the police. He would probably be interviewed at least.

if there is any evidence on the school records then that would be recent complaint evidence maybe. It depends what was said.

The reality is that it is very difficult to prove stale offences. Also, I think the wish to prosecute these things is declining but only really because it was a complete witch hunt and that was never going to continue.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Sorry, what was a complete witch hunt...?
Also, I remember two teachers that I spoke to about the matter at the time. If I were to find out hen, would that help?
find them

Oh the recent allegations. We went through a stage where every allegation was prosecuted almost. That has declined but that was always going to happen in the end.

If this is from the 1970s then unless it is on the school records there is no realistic chance of it being proper evidence.

The police could find the teachers probably although they tend to make enquiries at the school.

I told teachers in my grammar school in the 1990s... I don’t know if there’s records.

Sometimes they do.

Generally speaking they will stop holding records from the 1980s but obviously that is ever moving and very individual.

Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister