UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I was arrested yesterday at my home under suspicion of

Customer Question
shoplifting . I was held...
I was arrested yesterday at my home under suspicion of shoplifting . I was held at police station for 12 hours and released without charges .However , the police told me that they were investigating further. At the same time i was arrested they searched my house and removed many items of my clothing . They didn't ask me for any evidence of purchase- they just took the clothes . Now i have to wait until i am informed whether i am going to be prosecuted . I am in total shock. I was at the store a week ago and was asked upon leaving to come back into the store and talk. I was marched into a room with 3 store personel who asked to look in my bag and under my coat. I obliged . They then went onto tell me that they believed i had been stealing items of clothing from the store and they were calling the police. I waited for the police but they didn't come and feeling quite intimidated , i got up and left. What i dont understand is there is NO evidence i have stolen but i am being accused . I am concerned that i dont have reciepts for every item that i purchased there except for items purchased with my card. They suggested i am part of an organised theft ring - i need to know how to protect myself
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/26/2017
Solicitor: Jamie-Law, Solicitor replied 7 months ago
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you,

What is it you want to know about this today please?

1.Is it legal for police to get a warrant to search your home and take away clothes that you have purchased without any evidence that you have stolen them?
* Is it legal for a store to accuse you of theft when there is no evidence?
2.Do the police have to return my clothes if i provide them with the reciepts of purchase?Should i be pro active?
3. Some items of clothing from the store were purchased with cash and not recorded on my card - how do i protect myself
against false accusations of theft in this case?
4.I have found some receipts but usually throw reciepts away - are my card statements going to suffice to protect myself from these accusations?
5. Unbelievably ,when i was arrested i was reminded to take money with me so i could get home in taxi when released .
I took two 20 pound notes and the police claim that one of the notes is counterfeit. I was shocked because i don't know if its actually true or if it is true how i got that in my pocession. What can i be charged with for this?
6.I don't live in UK where this has all occurred .I am due to fly home soon.Should i hire a solicitor now while i am in uk
or wait until i know what charges i am faced with ?
7.Lastly if i am charged it means i will have huge expenses returning to UK, hiring a solicitor and my time .
What re dress do i have to be reimbursed for financial loss i may incur?
I am in UK and the system to give a number is ***** I have already paid. I saw the transaction come out of my account.
The system is asking me for money
System is asking me to update card details and pay but i paid and money has already been taken on the card i put into system yesterday

You want a call? It says you do, but payment failed.