UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

My son accidently damaged a car while valeting it. His boss…

My son accidently damaged...

My son accidently damaged a car while valeting it. His boss has told him that he must pay the repair bill of £120, (yesterday he was told the bill was£90 and they would deduct out of his wages ) which I know they cannot do. Can my son insist to be given the repair bill as it seems rather high as he works for a repair garage and what are his rights ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

It was a little damage to the paintwork while he was buffering a car which sometimes can happen. I am unsure of the age of the car. My son is only 19 and only been there a year so I realise he has to be careful as they can sack him for any reason

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

11/23/2017
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Does his contract say anything about this?

Hello Ben
Could you advise me of my sons rights when his employer are insisting he pay a bill for accidental damage to car he was cleaning.
I am unsure if his contract does ?
if it isn't stated in his contact or employee handbook , does he have to pay.
Also has he a right to see the actual bill for this repair ?

Are they trying to deduct the money from his pay or asking him to voluntarily pay it?

hello
voluntary pay it

Thank you. If he was personally responsible for the damage then he would have been negligent and that creates liability on his part, which is responsible for. So it is possible for the employer to ask him to cover the costs for the damage caused by his negligent actions. You are entirely correct that they cannot deduct the money from his wages without the contract specifically allowing it, so the only way is for him to pay it voluntarily.

He cannot be forced to do so at this stage but as you did identify, his rights in keeping his job are rather limited so the employer could dismiss him if he refuses to pay them. If he does consider paying them he can ask for evidence of the costs but they are not legally obliged to disclose them. They can ask for £120 without any evidence and if he does not pay they can sack him - I know it all seems wrong but it would all be legal. So in the end he needs to decide what is more important - that money, or the job (assuming it will be at risk if he does not pay).

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Thank you , I think you have covered everything

you are welcome and all the best

Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer