UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Is shoplifting of under £200 will be recorded in criminal…

Is shoplifting of under...

Is shoplifting of under £200 will be recorded in criminal record?

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Uk

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing

11/21/2017
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Hi would you please explain the circumstances please and do you have any previous?

A bit more information for you...
1) I didnt go on a court
2) Police was called and I wasn't taken to the police station
3) I received a fine notice and I paid it online
4) They have my Hong Kong Identity card and uk resident address
5) This was my first time
sorry I think I already paid some money so....
Hi Jo? are you still here ?
I dont have a us phone number I'm currently in HongKong
JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Senior Associate & Consultant

Hello, were you given a caution by the Police?. If so, the caution is classed as a conviction. The reason it is classed as a conviction, is because when you receive a caution, it is a admission of guilt. Cautions are spent five years after you receive it, but they will show up on a criminal record check. If you had no caution and you were not charged, then there will be no record of it and it will not be recorded. I hope this answers your question. Please click "accept answer" if you are happy with this.

However, I successfully applied for a US travel visa. I believe people with criminal records would't be able to apply for it? Also, I did a basic DBS check on my self and it showed I have no criminal records. The shoplifting happened during 2015.
I found it online and I think it is applicable for my case.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/low-value-shoplifting-guidance-for-police
Please let me know what is my situation now. Thanks

Hi, you would be fine if you have not shown up on a CRB check.

JimLawyer