UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I have received a letter from a debt collection firm

Customer Question
Hi - I have...

Hi - I have received a letter from a debt collection firm regarding an outstanding parking ticket. The letter and any previous correspondence from the parking company (Premier Park) was sent to the wrong address so I have had no opportunity to pay the initial charge or appeal. The address error occurred because the address that my car is registerd to at the DVLA was incorrect.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Devon UK - are you in the US?

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Law
11/17/2017
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 months ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

How can I help with this please?

What action can I take to avoid paying the excess levied by the debt collection agency without going to court? All correspondence has been sent to an incorrect address, therefore I have not had the opportunity to respond to them.
I don't want to pay extra for a phone call at this stage.

Who is the issuer of the fine?

I am just going offline but I can pick up in an hour or so?

Premier Park based in Exeter.

Is there any mention of the council in the body of the fine?

I have not seen the original fine because I assume it was sent to the other address. I guess it would be Torbay Council though.

Ok.

How did the address come to be incorrect?

Not entirely sure. When I bought the car, the garage would have notified DVLA of the new owner - they got the name right but the address wrong. But I suppose it is my responsibility to ensure it is correct. That was back in 2015.

It is but if this is a genuine error then you may have a chance with this.

You can always try to get the CCJ set aside on the basis that summons went to the wrong address.

if this is a local council fine then you can also make a stat dec on the basis that you didn't the documentation.

The stat dec may be refused because ultimately the address was wrong but actually you may be in luck if the error was the DVLA's not yours.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo