UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I have a cheque from first Texas bank US which is being

Customer Question
I have a cheque...

I have a cheque from first Texas bank US which is being converted to Uk GBP ! I've been asked for £10000 having already given them £20000. It's from internal revenue monitoring service team. They say I need a funds certificate of ownership and an international business certificate. Please could you tell me how to get my cheque as I haven't got the money to pay. Thank You. Maureen Jones (UK)

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page. Has anything been filed or reported?

I have emails and they say they have a file for me in Narrows, VA. Apparently the cheque is in Uk but needs to be converted from dollars to GBP.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No except this is a huge cheque. Will I have to pay for this service? If so I'll have to withdraw.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Law
11/17/2017
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

This is indeed a paid service but for a rather low fee so please let me know how you wish to proceed

I've paid £30 and that's all I can afford at present!
No I would prefer if you could just help me this way.
Are you there please?
Hello

Yes I am still here. Can you please let me know how you got to hear about this cheque in the first place?

I've done some trading.
Ben please can I cancel the other solicitor as this was a mistake on my part. I'd like to hear your answer on my problem please.
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 7 months ago

Hello, unfortunately when you chose to work with someone else it removed me from this quesiton and I was unable to reply until your action was undone by customer services just now.

I am sorry to say that this is a very clear scam. This particular type of scam is better known as ‘advance-fee fraud’ because the victim is asked to make advance payments before anything they have been promised materialises.

As there are countless variations of such scams, the best way to determine if this is one is by identifying certain 'red flags' which are often present in the build-up. The following are the most common ones and if they have occurred in this situation then it is almost guaranteed it is a scam:

· Someone contacts you and promises you a sum of money.

· Before you are able to receive the promised amount, you are asked to pay a sum of money for various reasons, such as clearance fees, administrative costs, taxes, etc. This is the advance-fee part of the scam.

· Tempted by the potential return, you pay the money in good faith. The usual request is for it to be sent via Western Union, Moneygram, prepaid cards, etc. These are the favoured payment methods used by fraudsters as the money can potentially be collected using false identities, it is extremely difficult to trace them that way and you also get no fraud protection.

· Once the money has been sent, the fraudster either stops all contact and the promised money never materializes, or they return and ask for further payments due to new issues, which have suddenly arisen.

The things they have said do not actually exist, such as international business certificate -these are made up terms. Also the feels you have had to pay are astronomical if this was a genuine conversion from USD to GBP - this is a very clear sign that they are just opportunistically asking you for money, which unfortunately you have been tricked into paying.

If you wish to report this, all scams can be reported to Action Fraud on 0300(###) ###-####or by visiting http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you