UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

I'm a leaseholder planning to host a friend who owns a small

Hi, I'm a leaseholder planning...
Hi, I'm a leaseholder planning to host a friend who owns a small dog. My lease says I would need permission from the developer to have a pet, so I've asked them. They replied without justification that the building has a no pet policy. If I host my friend and the developers find out, can I lose my leasehold?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Greenwich, London
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have a written e-mailed response from the developer saying the building has a no pet policy would that be strong enough, if they find out I went and hosted a friend who own a dog, to threaten my leave? lease
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not really, thank you!
Answered in 1 day by:
11/18/2017
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor

How long is your friend staying ?

Michael

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
indefinitely, at least 1 year

By having a dog in the premises will be a breach of the lease but the developers are most likely to write and warn you are in breach first and give you the opportunity to remove the dog.

The developers would have to find out through, say, a fellow resident complaining .

You can try to contest the ruling but a no pets policy is common in flats due to dogs barking disturbing other residents.

As such it is difficult to argue that it is not a reasonable policy.

The situation is far from ideal but I would risk it and see whether any complaint is made.

If there are any further points please reply I will be happy to respond.

Kindly accept my answer on the system so I get credit for my time.

Best wishes

Michael

Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Ok thank you
Michael Holly
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor