UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I am a Chinese from the mainland China. I have a Chinese…

I am a Chinese from...
I am a Chinese from the mainland China. I have a Chinese passport which can be used internationally. I also have an “Exit-Entry Permit for Travelling to and from Hong Kong and Macau”, which is a travel document for the Chinese from the mainland China to travel to Hong Kong and Macau.
Several years ago, I used the “Exit-Entry Permit” to Hong Kong for more than one year. However, when filling the UK visa application for the UK short-stay visa last year, I did not disclose the travel document under the passport column, and I did not disclose the Hong Kong travel record under the travel history column in the last 10 years. I got the visa. I did not provide the information concerning Exit-Entry Permit because I think it could be not used internationally, and Hong Kong is part of China so it should not be in the travel history.
I plan to apply for a work visa in the UK, so I need to provide no criminal record of Hong Kong. In this application, if I disclose my “Exit-Entry Permit”, and Hong Kong travel history; I wonder that whether the case officer may challenge me because of a lack of travel history in my previous application. As a result, my visa will be refused, which is regarded as a deception because material facts were not disclosed in the previous application.
11/16/2017
frantzgregory
Hello
You should disclose your travel document in any future application. You may be asked to explain why you didnot disclose this information. It is not enough to refuse a visa unless you were denied an exit permit and you didnt disclose it
Thanks! However, I have to say I had lost that travel document before the previous uk visa application. I can get an official travel record of that travel document. However, the case officer might think that you did not disclose it because you lost it and you wanted to hide something or you was lazy to report the lost.
The official travel record is provided by Hong Kong immigration to show any traveler’ travel record of entry and exit Hong Kong.
I have repot the lost to the police several months ago. It lost several year ago.
I have no “deny or deport” history, but I not sure a case officer will trust me or not, although I can provide an official travel record from Hong Kong
The entry exit permit is my first travel document but in the previous UK application, I said the Chinese passport is my first passport.
A travel document is not the same as a passport
Could you review my follow-up concerns above? Thanks.
Like I said a travel document is not a passport. You can have a first passport and also have a first travel document.
JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Senior Associate & Consultant

Hello, is your travel document more than 10 years ago?

no, several years less than 10 years

OK, there is a duty to confirm facts which will not appear to mislead or deceive the immigration authorities. However, there is no duty of candour on your part and as such you do not have to tell them. However, they may raise a concern at lack of travel history of the last 10 years. This would constitute a "material fact" which was not disclosed previously and if you do not give the travel history, they may refuse your work visa application. You have to answer all questions fully and honestly. If you don't this may be taken as deception resulting in the refusal of your application and you may be banned from entering the UK for a number of years (this can be up to 10 years in total). My advice would be to list the travel history. I hope this answers your question. Thanks

You've given negative rating but the answer is correct. Best of luck and thank you for your time

JimLawyer
I did not give a negative rating. The negative rating was given to the previous answer before your response. Let me try whether I can revise it