UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Do I have to split my assets with husband if we divorce? I…

Do I have to...

Do I have to split my assets with husband if we divorce? I own 3 properties and they are all in my name which I've worked really hard to buy. The properties are buy to let and we live in rented accommodation with 2 teenage kids 15 and 16

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Im in the uk London

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

We had a family home but it was sold 4 years ago which was in his name but he spent most of it to live on
11/16/2017
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate

how long have you been married/together?

18 years

I see. On that basis that the starting point from the court is really going to be to split the capital on a 50-50 basis. That said the court will take into account a variety of factors and it is not uncommon for one party to get more. There are still a number of reasons why assets may not be divided equally after a marriage of, say, 25 years. A deviation from the principle of equality requires a reason such as stellar contribution, where one party has generated a vast fortune from his or her own unique skills and endeavours. Another common example would be where one party owned an asset before the marriage and that asset had never become mingled with the family finances. An inheritance, perhaps, which had remained in the sole hands of its recipient. In such circumstances, the party with the financial advantage would seek to retain more than 50 per cent of the assets and it is likely that if the other party’s needs have otherwise been met, there would be an unequal division. Few would argue with that. These examples do remain very much the exception in long marriage cases, and 50:50 remains the division ratio of choice.

Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate